1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

If all our rivals keep signing then sooner rather than later they will have no more spaces leaving us towards the end to pick up some real bargains. Method in Daniel's madness.

Dier Hard and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  2. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

the problem is - you cannot sign Van Der Vaart et al now for a bargain especially someone who would actually improve your current squad.

Danny boy's is madness than any method now.

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

City have now spent £370 plus million on transfers in 13 months.
    I have no idea how anyone can say anything about Guardiola being a great manager (or even a good one) no matter what they win after spending over a THIRD OF A BILLION on players in a year when they already have Silva and Aguero.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

No one is saying there isn't players out there, the problem is finding the right ones, unless you want us throwing more dough at guys like Sissoko/ Janssen? The chances of bringing in a player better than any of our first choice is very slim, when considering we sold Walker for £50m, the likelihood of bringing in a replacement of equal calibre would cost probably cost the same amount. Whereas finding good players who'll likely know they'll play as a second fiddle won't be easy when we're not offering them £100k+ a week like City/ Chelsea/ Utd do.

There's competition for places, it just depends on how fierce you want that competition to be. Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Winks and Lamela are all solid options to call upon, Son despite his great season last year may not even be a guaranteed starter if we go with just two attacking mids in a line-up. There's no denying that we could do with beefing up areas to improve the squad (preferably a CM, ST and maybe a RB for me), I've said that numerous times but if we didn't, I won't lose my ****, we're still a very good side, as has been proved in recent seasons. We've also got a great manager who's proven season after season that he has a knack of getting the best out of many players while also having the balls to bring through youth prospects.

5. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Apparently Sissoko is part of Poch's plans and one pundit thinks Vinnie will be amongst the PL's top scorers this season. I'm watching very carefully.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Valid points as always.

To counter a few of them:

KWP and CCV points of being youngsters with little experience. Winks was in the exact same scenario as them and yet all of us now deem him a very solid squad option. We have to give young players the chance in order to tell if they're good enough or not. Realistically not all will set the world alight straight from the off and will need time.. Chances are they'll make a number of mistakes along the way as they're in positions in which a mistake can cost a goal but ultimately Poch and the staff see big things for them so I'm happy to see faith placed into them. If we can keep Wimmer, CCV won't have a massive amount of pressure on his shoulders, just like last season, and can therefore continue to be eased in. I understand the calls for a RB as there's no senior cover for Tripps and so if Perreira or Toljan come in then so be it.

RE potential Kane injury - he missed ten weeks last season, Son and co stepped up. It's certainly not ideal to have him out but I wouldn't necessarily use the word "screwed".

Sissoko and Janssen I don't harbour much hope for but GK for me has shown glimpses of his capabilities and at 21/ 22, I think we can afford him some time. He's a raw talent.

Dier and Wanyama can handle heavy fixtures, Dier's played something like 73 of the last 76 League games. Whereas Big Vic is just a machine. Bringing in another midfielder would be ideal though, as I've said already. It doesn't even need to be a like for like DM, but someone to play that position at times will be handy.

I think all of us agree squad additions is pretty key and ideal. That's why I'm massively pro-Barkley as he's Prem proven, English and young enough to improve. BUT, as I've said, IF we didn't sign anyone (which I think is highly unlikely), I'll still be relatively confident going into the new season because we're a bloody good side with an excellent manager.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Lovearsenalcock and Citizen Kane like this.
  7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I reckon they must have said Vinnie may be one of the top scorers in the PL2 mate <laugh>.

D.G.C. likes this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

Much like Son, i think we'll see an improvement in Janssen in his 2nd season. The guy tries his socks off, which most Spurs fans appreciate. Sissoko, however.....

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

We are seeing the problem all around us .
    Lukas Perez wants out of Woolwich because he is not getting game time. From what we have seen he is a very good player but unwilling to sit on the bench. He won't be on the same sort of wages as bench warmers get at City, Chelsea and United. Closer to what we would pay.Which is why we will find it hard to find a striker when they know they won't get many minutes. Funnily , we are in quite a good position to have a player like Jansenn, who might come good as far as scoring is concerned (I do have hope) but is a handful for defenders anyway.
    Chiqarito might only be costing the Hammers under £20mil but he will be on £140,000 a week.(tax payers money). Good as he is, and some may remember I wanted him at Spurs when he left United, but he would not be our first choice and we wouldn't pay him that much.
    So in a nutshell: we need quality at under £100,000 a week, to sit on the bench and possibly play IF we have injuries. Which is why we use academy players.
    I will be satisfied if we don't buy anyone this window as I will fully understand the problem and am not willing just to splash the cash. I have heard fans of other clubs say they don't care spending millions-well it's not their money is it- in order to win the PL, but only one club will this season. ( maybe it's to do with me personally that I am aware that I have not got the money to spend freely and have to be careful).

10. Blue and White

On another note, I saw this table of how much teams are spending this window, which is interesting (although doesn't include wages-which as above, sometimes is crucial to know ):
    Man City have brought in 7 players at a cost of 239.5 million Euros
    Milan have brought in 9 players at a cost of 189.5 million Euros
    Chelsea have brought in 4 players at a cost of 140.6 million Euros
    United have brought in 2 players at a cost of 120.0 million Euros
    Juventus have brought in 7 players at a cost of 117.7 million Euros

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not at all.
    The problems you face are kindred, just that for Spurs they are at
    a much larger financial scale.

12. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I am still wondering how they don't fall foul of FFP considering they breached the rules as recently as 2014. Of course their revenue has increased since then, but revenue of all the PL teams have, but not enough to be spending anything like that (plus salaries). Incidentally something I didn't know until recently is that following the £49 million fine for breaching FFP, they were subsequently given a £33 million rebate for subsequently complying with the rules! I also read an article suggesting that the £25 million-ish image rights deal that was central to the original problem was never really lost as income anyway, as it was simply distributed to "related companies" under some kind of dodgy deal (surprise surprise). Still I'm sure the Citeh fans will continue to turn their back on the CL anthem because of how harshly they have been treated.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Sky are suggesting that Real Madrid have reached agreement for Kylian Mbappe (story originally in Marca). Just the small matter of 150m Euro's + 30m in add-on's is the suggested figure.

If this is true, let's get someone out there and pick up Kovacic.Now people! NOW!

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

We know they have to offload at least one player to buy the new
    offering to their plasticos. AFAIK nobody else is interested in Kovacic.

Grasp onto something hard with both hands and put your gum shields in,
    because Levy will take this to deadline day if necessary on the transfer fee.

15. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Adam Smith (our former RB, not the father of modern economics) has signed a new 4 year contract with B'mouth. So we can scratch that one off the list.

16. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

This Barkley chappie: any chance he could be converted into a back-up right back? (With a little bit of Poch fairy dust to do the trick, of course! <magic>) :emoticon-0136-giggl

SpursDisciple likes this.
  17. "Thanks for that Brian"

He tackles like Paul Scholes wearing a blindfold. I'm sorry, but it's a no!

18. Blue and White

was going to post this in Rival Watch but neither of these teams are rivals and the question this article poses is relevant here.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40715875

Ahletico loaning a player to Wolves. This would make sense if said player hadn't made 35 appearances for Porto including having CL experience.
    It is not our way but should we consider getting in some loanees of this calbre to strengthen the squad? Are they better than academy players?

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

Nothing comes without a cost..........

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ndes-wolves-influence-chinese-owners-signings

Wolves have had their soul sold. Jack Hayward must be turning in his grave. It seems like a nice idea until you realise that it's a nightmare being owned by an agent and a Chinese businessman.

20. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

So Toljan's ours at £3.1 million.