1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I'm unsure as to whether I agree with this or not. Go back three years ago and I would definitely agree. Fast forward the same period and maybe I'll feel differently.

What makes a young prospect into a proper Premier League player? Talent helps, sure but many of the most talented prospects drop by the wayside. One would expect that Academy prospects at Spurs have the talent. So, athleticism, coaching, mentality, support, tactical understanding, 'getting the breaks' and not having the crowd turn on them when they struggle are going to be huge factors. We have all of those in spades.

Harry Winks following Harry Kane into Mauricio Pochettino's first team thoughts shows what is needed. Those young players are brought in to play a part in a well oiled machine. It makes the jump achievable for those with 'the right stuff'.......at Spurs.......for Mauricio Pochettino. Would they make the grade elsewhere? If they move on to other clubs, will their form continue or dip or improve? I've half an idea that Mauricio Pochettino is a Cloughie for the new millennium. Of all the players that he's had his hands on, only Lallana has been a success elsewhere but his first few seasons at Liverpool were iffy and Klopp's had to do a major renovation job on him.

Our manager has something of the cult leader about him and I think that he can get players to do things that even they didn't believe that they could do and could struggle to replicate elsewhere. Let's hope Vinnie and GKN are more suggestible this season.

2. If that is true, PSG will be unstoppable next season.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He talks a lot about the philosophy of the club and I think that it's very important at the moment.
    One of my favourite quotes from him so far has been the one about signing to train and not signing to play.
    You need to embrace what he's trying to do and get on board. Do this and you'll have opportunities. Don't and you won't.

I'm not saying that we won't keep producing Premier League standard players, as that appears to be ongoing.
    It's very refreshing and I'm happy about it, as we certainly weren't doing that for quite some time.
    We won't be popping out a new Harry Kane every few years though, in my opinion.
    Nobody does. He's right up there, at the moment. Back-to-back Golden Boots in the Prem. That's special.

4. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Christian Eriksen believes Tottenham do not need to spend big in the transfer window to remain competitive.

"I don't think you need to spend to win anything. It's just a matter of how you see a team, how the players are."

"Only Walker has left and we know what we did last season, so I don't see why we shouldn't be able to do hopefully even better."

"It's an English thing isn't it. It's an English thing where you have to spend money to win something, apparently."

"I read something from the gaffer where he said our club is different compared to others, we don't spend as much money as them."

"When I came there were seven new players at the same time and you saw how that ended."

"Now in the last few seasons we haven't bought as many players and it's changed around."

"You have to have a philosophy, a plan, and it looks like we have one."

"It's the same lads trying to become better, and that makes it easier - when you have known your team-mate from day one."

"If you buy a lot of players, everyone needs to know what is going on straight away and be a bit lucky."

"We are lucky at Spurs at the moment. Everybody knows what's going on and what needs to be done. Spurs are in a lucky position."

Good comments from Eriksen, that make a lot of sense. Clearly he feels that the longer you play with someone, the better you're relationship becomes (obvious really). Transfer additions are always going to happen in some capacity, so it's just a shame with us that any purchases that do end up getting made always come so late in the window.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Neymar seems to be virtually done, which I'm quite surprised about.
    I thought it was bullshit to try and get another improved contract, but he wants to be the star man, apparently.
    Seems a bit shortsighted to me, but time will tell if it's the right move.

The Sanchez one's still very much just rumours.
    He's in Paris, but he just flew back from Chile and that's normal, according to various reports.
    It could just be journalists using that as an opportunity to get cheap views.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

With Kyle Walker costing £50m and no matter how much I like him, him not being Cafu, what's producing Kyle Walker-Peters worth? Or CCV? Or Josh Onomah?

If we can fill our squad and team with highly motivated home-grown talent and spot the odd Dele Alli or Eric Dier then we can compete with teams spending vast amounts more than us. Not every player needs to be a star. If I was at a money club then I'd be in for Victor Wanyama. He plays for his team mates and every team needs that player.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Oh, I agree and I think we'll focus even more on it in the near future, with the current state of transfer fees.
    Onomah and Walker-Peters certainly did themselves no harm in the U20 World Cup this summer.
    I think this might be part of the thinking behind our slow window, too.

8. <ok>
    I have absolutely no doubt that it is.

I don't want a big signing to come into the club.

Think about it.

We'd have to spend £70 million to get in a player who is no better than what we already have or can produce from our Academy. Such a player coming in with that kind of price-tag on his head is likely to feel some kind of right to first-team selection, which is not how Poch likes to operate. It would disrupt the balance and spirit in the camp that Poch has so carefully and skilfully created.

We do not need a so-called "marquee" signing.

vimhawk, yossarian and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I also don't see how we could bring in a marquee signing in this window.
    We won't improve any of our starting lineup with our current wage limit and we only really have one spot to upgrade.
    Anyone replacing Walker isn't going to be a star, as he'll still be a right-back and Lahm's retired! <laugh>

Our depth could do with a bit of a boost, but we're not going to get better players than virtually any of our starters.
    Whether we do that by bringing in a few names or promoting youth remains to be seen.
    It's a delicate balance.

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  10. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

The depth is key, especially if there's a few that we see either a) underperform like they did last season, or b) not get many chances again this season, for whatever reason Poch has.
    I still believe that we need 1 more player on the level of Eriksen, Son, Dele and Lamela, though. Only 4 players for the attacking roles in the team isn't many for the quantity of games we have. Especially when we consider Lamela's injury problems, too. - and the other players who've been asked to deputise and not filled the void well enough.

11. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Mourinho won 2 trophies in a 'bad season' at Utd.

For all the accolades we haven't won a trophy under Poch and he always seems to get it wrong in the biggest games.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

Darren Lewis in The Mirror is saying that we have no interest in Riyadh Mahrez. I'm thankful. I don't rate the bloke as a Spurs type player. Just as Moussa Sissoko lacks the brain to play for us, Mahrez lacks the heart.

I'm sure that it suits Leicester to use us to try and draw forth any potentially interested parties, just as is happening with Adrien Silva. However, his lack of application last season means that I'd rather we kept our money under Levy's bed than waste it on him. Now, Arsenal? He'd fit right in there. He could form a 3 behind Lacazette with Özil and Walcott.

13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

[
    Psychology.

They could draw us in the CL, and don't want us beating them
    so that if that draw happens we will not fear them even if they
    then sign those two.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Depends if he's actually allowed into the UK, considering he wasn't allowed to when PSG played Arsenal last season due to a slight case of assaulting a police officer.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Aurier's fee is about the same as Pereira's release clause, and Pereira won't have any issues entering the UK...

15. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

At long long last, someone who thinks the same as me.

16. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Criticism of Pochettino looks very harsh to me, Yes I can accept he has made mistakes, but name a Spurs manager who hasn’t. So he hasn’t won a trophy yet, but since Keith Burkinshaw only Venables, Graham and Ramos have, and I personally would have Poch ahead of any of those, and anyone else who has managed us since 1986.

Is there anyone here under the age of 60 who has seen us be more consistent in the league? 3rd then 2nd, the highest scorers in the league with the best defence that’s unheard of in my 52 years. I would love us to win a trophy and in my opinion the man in charge now gives us our best chance.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Suppose it depends how you define biggest games mate.

We won all three London derbies at The Lane last season, also beat Utd and City at home too, all of those were very convincing barring the West Ham one. We beat Utd and City the season before last, too, while I'm not even sure if we've lost to Arsenal in the Prem under Poch.

Granted he made a dodgy choice against Chelsea in the semi with Son at LWB but I can't think of many other instances where Poch has been solely to blame. The Dortmund game springs to mind, I'd say that's about it.

Worth also remembering that despite a "bad" season for Jose, the bloke spent about £150m, so in theory he should've won trophies AND done better in the league when splashing that amount. It's easy to be successful when given nigh on unlimited budgets.

lennypops and The Changing Man like this.
  18. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I'm not criticising Poch but I'm also not of the thinking that he is above it.

Part of me thinks he's a bit of a yes man to Levy though.

He's done a top job so far but for me his term as manager won't be a proper success unless he can win a trophy .

O.Spurcat likes this.
  19. Here's one thing I know. If Poch leaves, so will most of our best players.

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Why, is there no team spirit or do they all dislike the club?
    Maybe you think it's the wages and Poch makes them believe they are on good money?