1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. <laugh> Excellent!!

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Also Poch did say “We may lack a few players,''

3. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

One of the biggest issues that we have in my opinion is the fact that we are not seen in the same light as the 5 clubs who have more money than us. And because we have such good first choice players we are struggling to attract players who see no way past Harry, Dele, Christian, Hugo, Toby and Jan (and the rest!) and we don't pay big enough to attract good players to sit on our bench.

I also think that Poch is very specific in what he wants and the Sissoko 'experience' has possibly made him even more certain that his way is better.

PowerSpurs likes this.
  4. But equally he could be referring to the 'now', on the tour and thinking about the missing injured players like Rose, Lamela and Son..... we are certainly 'lacking' them!

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that the club's also aware of the possibility of saving big money by bringing through youth.
    Kane's the obvious, extreme example, but Winks was a revelation until his injury last season, too.
    Onomah and Walker-Peters seem on the verge of similar breakthroughs, but it's a risk either way.

Do we go out and splash £30m+ on a player that could stifle players progressing or could push us on to winning trophies?
    The same player could do both.
    We can't keep producing genuinely top-notch players, so who's worth that risk?

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

There's a rumour doing the rounds that Everton want to loan Sissoko from us.
    Surely a swap deal for Barkley would be better for both parties? <whistle>

7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

If it keeps them happy (Kane, Alli, Toby etc) and at the club long term then I'd be delighted and would also send a statement that players can earn the big bucks at Spurs.

We do need a couple of extra good players though, KWP and Onomah could turn out to be very good but it's a big risk to put so much pressure on them especially this season when we're at Wembley.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Because this window hadn't been enough of a dick kicker, now there's (unsubstantiated...) reports that we're having issues getting Marcus Edwards to sign a new contract.

Now it needs to be stressed that the reports are the most blatant speculative bullshit imaginable, as the reports literally read like "Marcus Edwards didn't travel with the rest of the squad for the pre-season tour of the USofA, and this means..." - so I guess we should be expecting similar reports about Dylan Duncan, Samuel Shashoa and Kaziah Stirling, considering they didn't travel with the first team either...

9. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

What about paying that rumored 50 million for Mahrez? We'd effectively have swapped Walker for the player of the year the year before last. Mahrez is a year younger. We'd be gambling he could help us win the league, and we'd be risking a player not known for defensive effort.

Not that I believe there's any chance it will happen...

crackerman jack likes this.
  10. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

11. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Why not?

12. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

People keep talking about inflated transfer fees and salaries etc. but because of the fall in the pound since the brexit vote, 50M is the new 35M. Certain clubs, i.e. Manure, Chavs and l'arse have large a foreign fan base and will earn a lot of their money is foreign currency. It doesn't help us.

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's been reported that City are offering Jadon Sancho a contract worth £30k per week to keep hold of him

...or to put it another way, City are prepared to offer £30k a week to a seventeen year old whose career statistics read as follows
    Minutes of first team football last season: 0
    Number of matchday squads last season: 0
    Minutes of first team football in his career: 0
    Number of matchday squads in his career: 0

Think about what other players were doing when they were seventeen: Dele Alli and Ryan Sessegnon were breaking into the MK Dons and Fulham respective first teams, Harry Kane was making his league debut on loan at Orient, John Terry and Michael Owen had made their respective first appearances for Chelsea and Liverpool - and none of them were being offered £30k a week.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  14. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

This is such a difficult transfer window for us because, as stated by others, it's incredibly expensive and difficult to find players who would actually improve the team. So my suggestion is this: why don't we sell Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Son, Danny Rose, Christian Eriksen,Toby Alderweireld, Victor Wanyama and Hugo Lloris?! This will help in two ways - 1) we will have loads of money to spend and 2) it will now be much easier for us to find players who will improve the team since the team will now be ****e. Seems obvious to me.

Transfer windows were definitely more exciting when we were ****.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

WE'VE SIGNED RONALDO!!!

Seriously though, there's too much awesomeness in one photo.

16. Well said!

I have made exactly the same point, but in a different way.

There are two things going on, here.

Firstly, all of the other teams (apart from Chavs), are playing catch-up with us. They lack our defence, and they lack our fire-power. 'Pool, Arsenal, United, and City each have areas that they need to improve if they are to match us on last season's results. Therefore, Poch's primary objective must be to keep our current squad together. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Secondly, neutrals are now finally witnessing something the we Yids have known for some time - just how fantastic Poch is at bringing on youth. His contribution to our Club in this regard cannot be ignored. It is so much better for any club to be able to create great players than it is for be forced, Mourhino-style, to go out and buy them. I would much rather that Poch gave the next Kane, Alli or Dier his chance than have us spend £50 million on a player isn't worth a third of that, and to see him struggle to fit into our squad.

The biggest star in our team is Poch.

17. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Rumours we have made contact over PSG`s attacking full back Serge Aurier, but also rumours Unit£d are sniffing around, so that`s probably the end of that one, assuming we are indeed interested that is.

18. Poch will, now, become a victim of his own success.

Leeches, such as Mourhino, will take note of every target that Poch goes for and will follow suit. Yes, the Soon-To-Be-Sacked One lacks Poch's talents for spotting potential in players, but he does possess the brass-neck to stand on his shoulders and to hijack every deal he can by bullying Edwards into splashing the cash.

If I was Poch, I'd use this knowledge to United's detriment, by expressing some interest in some donkey and...

Oh, wait! Didn't he try that with Sissoko?

Bugger!

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Risky one. He's a talented player, but his off-field bullshit is too much, in my opinion.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Rumours doing the rounds that PSG are signing Neymar and Alexis Sanchez today.
    Calm down with the panic buys, lads. We're only playing you in a friendly!