1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2016/17 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

It is becoming quite clear that the idea of success is subjective. And dependent of the expectations of the assessor. We are all in agreement that we have had a good season and we achieved our target of getting into top 4.

You consider an improvement in our position as a success. I consider this improvement as a welcome and praiseworthy milestone (which I have said many times on this thread and elsewhere). To me a successful season is when we won one or more trophies, achieved our objectives and fielded a really strong competitive team. Yes, we competed really well against the top teams but we dropped off in the 2nd half of the season. We dropped points against the weakest teams in the league, we didn't have enough depth to even have a decent cup run in the FA and all this as you say helped by not having European football. Success?

I am old enough to know when Liverpool FC have had an undisputable successful season. I am afraid no one will convince me that 4th which is a laudable achievement in itself is it.

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Points total isn't something to look at this year I don't think. When you look at the points gap between top 7 and he rest it's ridiculous. Those mid table teams normally put up more of a fight but this year have given away points to everyone at the top (bar us who struggled!). I think it's more a case of teams like saints, West Ham, Leicester, stoke all having poor seasons which meant top teams took more points.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

in the end what can you look at? I mean i agree on points one years circumstances to an other years is totally different and arsenal for example every single other year would have got 4th with their points

All everton can say is they improved and climbed back up under koeman from a poor period at the end of martinez "era"

I pointed out their issue was away games

I'm frankly surprised they lower half (and southampton and wes tham especially ) have fallen away so much given the flood of money they have. Just about everyone has got tonked.

4. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Especially when Everton took 2 points from possible 15 in the last 5.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

well that is true. thats as bad as january for us.

tobes did say they gave up on 6th and went to the beach though.

6. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Yup no denying they were better this year than last. But was helped by fact that Those that should have challenged for 7th with them (saints, hammers, Leicester) were all terrible hence he comfortable gap.

The mid mid table teams this year were shocking, as shown by the 6 points gap between 8th and 17th!

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

I suppose, if we leave leicester out of it as total one off good season after being relegation fodder before and after there are 2/3 clubs who seriously underperofrmed but everyone can only beat whats in fornt of them

Everton were 4th in home form table. Higher than us. They were not so good away, IMO they improved under koeman but you could tell its not really right yet. they lack a couple wide men for instance... it was badly hurting by end.

They got a couple decent young lads through. get in a couple decent signings and new manager. coleman got assaulted on international duty and actually if you look at it that did hurt them.

Am i right in thinking that before that injury they were playing 3 at back? and changed to flat back 4?

8. saintKlopp

The only reason they didn't this time is because we were just about better than them.

9. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Played a mix of three and four at the back, a formation I thought Martinez would have used. I could bemoan injury etc but in the end, we were the best of the rest. I could say we blooded younger players, but in truth in some cases they were better than the squad players they ousted.

It's about improving on this season, with the possibility of more games in Europe - like Liverpool - the pressure is on to improve. It won't help that once Koeman joins a club everyone becomes interested in signing the better players.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

in the end at some point the major disappointment is lack of a cup run.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

yes. most years there was not 4 better teams over 38 games. this year there was.

SO by extension everton were 7th cos there were 6 better teams.. that than say there were only 13 worst team. #thinkpositive

12. saintKlopp

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember our successful days back to the 60's :)
    Of course there's no comparison between now and the heyday of the 70s and 80's, but that was a long time ago and things have changed. We haven't had any real sustained success for a long time - if your measure of success is purely on trophies won. I consider going in the right direction something to be positive about, and although not a trophy, a shot at the CL again is something of an achievement.
    We just have to keep it up.

carlthejackal and johnsonsbaby like this.
  13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Coleman was a big miss, more for his attacking contribution than defensively as Holgate did a decent job in that regard.

Bolasie getting crocked and missing half the season was also a big blow.

He used 3 at the back in certain games, and a back 4 in others. Once Mori also got crocked he didn't have the personnel to play it.

14. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

The good old days <laugh>

The good old boys <laugh>

15. moreinjuredthanowen

i forgot that thug got his :)

ok that was bait i admit it..

16. saintKlopp

Our status in the game was one of the few good things about the 80's - the decade that brought you Thatcherism and Rick Astley.

17. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Astley = useless ****

Thatcher = dangerous ****

18. astro

astro Well-Known Member

What kind of doublespeak is this that "achieving our target" is not "success" FFS?

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

If a four point jump in league or a cup run was on offer, what would you take

20. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Northern area, third qualifying stage for the CL is a success

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.