1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2016/17 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Mancini is favourite with some at the mo.

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Does this agent have any other players on his books?
    Have you thought you might be falling for journo bullshit (again).
    Most people who watch football will realise that Rooney does not fit the Chinese agenda, yes they are paying silly money like the Americans but, they are looking for players with at least 2 or 3 years left as a decent player who might actually improve the standard of the league, not just a big name to play one season in a broadway show.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

No doubt, Apoel!!!!

4. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Take away last seasons win, the team has been shocking this year. Not all his fault, but he clearl can't get them motivated for Prem games. Worst form in England, looking like they are on the way down.

Brilliant what they did last year, but club messed up by putting a lot of faith in the same players who for all their careers have been lower prem upper champ players (Morgan, Simpson, Vardy, Drinkwater etc). They all had 1 brilliant year they were too sentimental in some cases and not improving on those players, instead giving them huge contracts that meant they no longer had the motivation to keep performing.

Losing Kante has bene huge, but it shouldn't take a team from champion to relegation. He's not that much of a 1 man team!

Ranieri hit a formation and way of playing that worked... but this year when he's needed to adapt he hasn't been able to. Remember he was sacked as Greece manager for being **** during qualifiers and losing to Faro Islands!

5. moreinjuredthanowen

That will.... really.... inspire..... <laugh>

6. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

I'm licking my hands and then rubbing them on my face in anticipation...:emoticon-0184-tmi:

Solid_Air 2 and organic red like this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

I would say if true at least oh 24 of the 25 squad players will want to make sure thry go down to be sold off.

Vardy prob won't want to go on his 120k

8. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

In all seriousness - I thought Rooney might have had a new lease of life dropping deep. He can tackle, he can pass, he has vision, he has time on the ball. Not really happened though, and if he went abroad I think fans in the US or China would expect goals. I'm reminded of the old story of Beckenbauer playing sweeper for NY Cosmos in the twilight of his career. Losing 0-2 at home, their millionaire owner allegedly sent a message to their coach: 'Why's that ****ing Kraut we paid all the money for not getting his ass forward and scoring a goal?"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    luvgonzo likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Rooney could still do a very good job for another team playing deeper but he is now behind 3 other players for us in that position.
    I was serious about the profile of player the Chinese are looking for as opposed to the Americans, the players they are getting are not all massive names but good to very good players and most of them have a few years left. The Chinese will advance their league at a much faster rate than the MLS ever did.

10. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

I don't think he has the game intelligence to manage a game from deep.

And to be fair like in Gerrard's case I don't see why you'd want to shackle the emotion and instinct from his game to fit him in a role like that, its the reason why they were such successful players. Their game is based more on instinct than the measured approach the likes of Alonso, Pirlo, Busquets etc.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Just seen the alli red card. That is horrendous, prob worse tackle seen this season. Straight on so leg can't bend with the tackle, shin high could have easily snapped his leg in half there.

Needs to be able to do more on those kind of tackles. Clearly wasn't going for the ball, was wound up from not getting foul seconds before and went in to hurt the guy

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Sherwood and upson saying how they love the bad streak and edge in alli, instead of absolutely hammering him for a horror tackle.

13. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

For a minute lets imagine it was Suarez that made that tackle. For some reason I don't think they would be saying the same thing.

14. saintKlopp

It was similar a few months ago when there'd been a bit of a barney in a game. MOTD then ended their programme with a montage of brawls over the years, saying something like "we're not supposed to, but we all secretly love it".
    Then they'd all be wringing their hands in piety if kids start behaving like that because of what they've seen.
    Alli's tackle was a shocker, and that's all that needs to be said about it.

15. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Harsh on Ranieri with the CL tie still very much alive but probably the right decision given their general form this season and how quickly it's all fallen apart.

They clearly need a change in tone the way things are done around the club and changing manager is likely the best way to achieve that. They found an effectively one-dimensional way to play and once the league got wise to that never tried to, or found a way, to evolve and change that to adapt to defending the title. That's his fault.

Having said that the players are totally to blame as well. They've been phoning it in all season and been nowhere near last season's levels. Thats perhaps to be expected given they had all been 'average' players for their entire careers before 2016. Maybe the title went to some of their heads, they started thinking they're better than they are, got lazy, complacent, that the one title is enough for them, last season was the peak for a lot of them ... who knows. Whatever. Not good enough.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Lucky that tackle didn't break the players leg.

17. LuisDiazgamechanger

Rafa Benitez came in too late to rescue Newcastle last season, who ever comes in to replace Ranieri has a maountain to climb. They have more games left than what Newcastle had last season.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

So looks like it's the players who wanted ranieri out. ****ers

19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

If we're talking about exciting football them I'd have sacked him well before they won the league!!!

In the summer, I actually said Ranieri should walk away. He was never going to better last season and a hell of a lot of people predicted this seasons troubles. Why not go out (retire) on the high of winning the league?

I simply don't get this "he win the league nine months ago" angle. So ****ing what? That's history!

If we'd won the league in the Suarez season with Brod but still had the following season under him, I'd have still said he needed to go!

There is no room in football for sentiment.

I will always choose exciting football over trophies but as a Liverpool fan, I've seen sentiment too many times for my liking too!

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Or maybe he's got the club playing at their true level e.g. they were relegation fodder before and they still are. If there's no place for sentiment would you have sacked off steeevey g earlier? How about rafa?

I guess if klopp finishes outside top 4 you should go baying for his blood for not progressing liverpool?no cup finals, no glory, no cl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.