1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2015 USA Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Oct 19, 2015.

?

Who Will Wear a Stupid Hat At The End?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2015.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

73.9%
  2. Sebastian Vettel

4.3%
  3. Nico Rosberg

8.7%
  4. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Valtteri Bottas

4.3%
  6. Felipe Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniil Kvyat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Daniel Ricciardo

4.3%
  9. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. OTHER: PLEASE STATE

4.3%
  1. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that he's not only a bad loser, but he's also a terrible winner. I'd be embarrassed to have kids anything like him!

2. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Can you tell me who had the inside line and who was slightly ahead? As far as I can see it was Hamilton and maybe Rosberg should have just tucked into second place and then make his move on Hamilton since he was a bit quicker. Thats just my opinion.

3. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Because of his skin colour? I wonder... It's not because of his winning..thats what he is paid to do..to win not harp over who he thinks gave him a bad drive. Come on Rosberg needs to harden up and be forceful, you dont go into races like a wimp and expect to win championships. Rosberg needs to man up or he will be second all the time.

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Maybe I am way to naive but I doubt Lewis or Nico actually thought for more than a millisecond before throwing the hat. Lewis picket up both whether by accident or not and just threw the 2nd to Nico. Nico then just threw it back. Bit ofa non story to me. Yes Nico was annoyed but he fought fairly when his team mate pushed the boundary too far. Nico was also probably annoyed by himself and making the mistake that let Lewis past.
    I think Lewis is a good driver but his personality leaves something to be desired. Nico is fairer but not as aggressive and that hurts him. Plus he knows which side his bread is buttered on.

One think, anyone any idea how they decide which side of the track pole is on? Seems to me that the pole for cota is on the wrong side of the track. The pole driver should be in a position to get inside line.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like I said Nico allowed himself to be positioned, and I also said I didn't see much wrong with the 1st corner - your point was? However, they were both ahead at differing points and Lewis has been quoted as saying he knew Nico would have more grip on the "racing line". That's default for block overtake, under steer contact - team mate must decide whether to crash. This whole diving standards issue is down to these vague rules around corner entitlement, overcrowding and cars width.

The problem is that drivers are abiding by different interpretations of the rules. The irony is that Senna's success was as much about him being prepared to crash as it was about his out and out speed/ability. For me Nico has no choice but to put him in the wall (regardless as who is entitled to the corner based on how a given steward perceives the vague rules), but he won't and can't. He wont because its not in his nature and he can't because the team would have a dicky fit.

The only way Nico will gain his respect is to be just as aggressive back, but then the British media are up in arms. Lewis has earned the right to bully him, if only down to Nico's passive on track demeanour. One is playing baseball and one is playing cricket.

I reiterate I have no issue with the first corner (Edit: although unsporting), except the Nico should have driven straight over him and put him out of the race. Vettel would have won, the championship would live for another round and Lewis might (just might) have thought twice next time. However, Nico probably wouldn't get another race weekend.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    happyal likes this.
  6. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

People need to get over this idea that you're allowed to run someone off the road if they're on the outside. No you're not. It's dirty and unsporting, it's not clean racing. The only time it's acceptable is if a driver is so committed to the corner that their line carries them out there, steering your car into a rival - your team mate no less - is not on. Hamilton could've left Rosberg space without compromising his own exit, but he decided to run his car out into Rosberg's path again. He did the same but worse in Hungary last year and should've been penalised for it, but Rosberg has to get his elbows and stick up for himself rather than sulking about it two hours later, if he'd stood his ground yesterday Hamilton would've wound up facing backwards on the run off as the entire field streamed past him. Hamilton stopped his comply-or-die wild lunges up the inside after 2011 when people stopped complying, and he'll stop doing this if Rosberg puts his foot down.

The remark you made after this was truly pathetic by the way.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    DHCanary, allsaintchris. and Smithers like this.
  7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Shame on you re colour!

As soon as Nico gets a little feisty Lewis is straight on the radio bitching!

8. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Well said :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Japan was much worse imo, I'll give Hamilton the same benefit of doubt I'm giving Hulkenberg, it was a wet and slippery at that corner and caught a lot of people out, so the slightest bit of understeer was going to cause a problem for whoever was on the outside
    Hamelot in shock 'you're racist' comment.

People don't like him because he is a narcissistic knob-end and have the wherewithal to realise he's full of PR ****.

10. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Agree with you completely. I've never gone alogn with this whole 'I had the racing line' excuse that drivers come up with now as a reason to push someone off the track. Goes back to the Schuey days when this supposed clarification was brought in.

If someone is alongside you, you should not be allowed to run them out wide and off the track. You should respect the track limits and ensure that your rival has, and give him at least one car width from the edge of the track. Would Hamilton have taken the same line out of that corner if there were barriers there and thus cause an accident because Rosberg would have had no where to go?

This 'rule' needs sorting. It deprived us of a potential side by side battle through the series of eases after the first turn.

Hamilton has done nothing wrong according to the rule book and he is therefore entitled to do it, but it's not within the spirit of racing and looks wrong on so many levels.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Much like all the greats though. They all hated losing and loved to rub it in when they won. All part of the psyche of a winning driver.

It is more evident with Hamilton, he doesn't have some of the subtleties that maybe some other past champs have had.

12. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

Not at all, even if he was completely white I'd still not like him because of his personality. The closest comparison I've got is he's the guy from school who tries to fit in with the "cool" guys. The one who tries to get everyone to think he's amazing at everything and has to show off and has a hissy fit if he loses. May be a quick driver, but as a role model, he's the worst of the lot.

13. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

This debate about driving standards, rules, ethics, stewards etc., has become quite interesting. I hope I'll be forgiven for watching it develop or subside for now, other than endorsing a recent comment from Miggins which hints at a subtlety very easily overlooked.

However, my thoughts were interrupted. And because of this, I'm going to interrupt myself.

I'm quite appalled at the suggestion that "skin colour" has any relevance to this thread; in particular, that it might underpin any view expressed by any contributor to it. I'd also like to hope the author – someone I believe to be a very important, valuable member of this community – will acknowledge what I believe is an erroneous comment with some suitable editing.

I hope the author will also forgive me for expressing my view that such comments are entirely out of place in this forum.

Mr.B and ched999uk like this.
  14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Lewis gave out the podium caps to the other two drivers and Nico lobbed it back to him, not aggressively, or with any power.

The most worrying thing about this episode is that they actually overshadow the ****ing racing in modern F1. (Ironically at the most entertaining race of the season!

Get a grip folks- an unhappy loser? Well I ****ing never. These guys are professionals and HATE losing. Not even newsworthy.

Move on.

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

@f1fanatic_co_uk: Raikkonen wants to know if it's legal to push another car off at the exit of a corner. Guess he couldn't see the two Mercedes from 18th! #F1

JonnyBaws likes this.
  16. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Lewis chucked a cap over to Nico. I don't think there was anything in it. Nico chucked it back. Not hard or aggressively, I think it was OK for him not to be in total PR mode just for a few seconds while he was struggling with strong disappointment which I think we'd all find it hard to control in his position. He looked more deflated and defeated than pissed off. Just a small temporary slip of the corporate mask. Understandable I'd say.

ched999uk likes this.
  17. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I used to love Schumacher's style of racing and personally I feel that a good bit of squeezing is legitimate racing. For some reason during the Schumacher reign people suddenly became outraged at a bit of bullying cars out of the way. Now racing is becoming so sanitized that almost every overtake has to be dissected to be validated as a legitimate pass.

I don't get it.. I want racing with some balls! Screw the DRS crap, screw leaving room... if somebody wants past, make 'em bloody work for it.

18. Smithers

Forum Moderator

It was us Brits moaning about Schuey! We've got our own now so it's alright :emoticon-0130-devil

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Yes. We need to reduce dirty aero that effects the following cars (is that possible?) maybe more reliance on under floor less on wings? So cars can get a decent tow in the slip stream and get a sling shot and then onto brakes.

Smithers likes this.
  20. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It took me quite a while to forgive Schumacher for 1994, but I became a massive fan when It was him vs Hakkinen and Coultard. Those two mongy buggers drove me nuts!