1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2015 Bore-zilian GP Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Nov 5, 2015.

?

Who Will Take Control Of The Bends and Changeable Conditions In Sao Paulo

Poll closed Nov 14, 2015.
  1. Hamilton

38.9%
  2. Rosberg

16.7%
  3. Vettel

27.8%
  4. Bottas

5.6%
  5. Raikkonen

5.6%
  6. Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kvyat

5.6%
  8. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other: Please State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

“The temperature measured on the tread of the right hand side rear tyre of car number 19 was 137C, 27C above the maximum tread temperature of 110C allowed by the official tyre supplier. The
    corresponding tyre pressure at 137C was 20.6 psi, 0.1 psi above the minimum starting pressure.”

The stewards ruled Massa’s car was therefore not in compliance with the technical regulations and excluded him from the result of the race. Williams were found to have broken article 12.5.1 of the technical regulations, article 3.2 of the sporting regulations and article 12.1.1.i of the international sporting code.

2. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

The temperature is way too high tbh.

3. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I agree that it seems wrong and unfair, but appears that the rules have been tightened since Mercs incident. With regards it being a disadvantage having unequal temps etc this is not necessarily true. Race cars will stagger their pressures depending on the varying wheel loads, to ensure that over the given stints they balance to maximise performance or life.

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I am guessing Williams couldn't prove that the tyre warmer was defective. So unfortunately they have no excuse. Merc had the excuse, if I remember correctly, that the rules were not clear enough and open to interpretation. So Merc had to be given the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately once the clarification exists teams have no excuse.
    The real problem is that it took 40 laps before the tyre pressure issue was brought up when the stewards were aware of the problem just before the start!!!!! They should have made Massa pit for new tyres and start from the pit lane. Not wait till after the race.

Smithers likes this.
  5. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

In the case of a race start (which is what we're mainly talking about here, given temps will sort themselves out depending on load at racing speed), then you want roughly the same temp on the rear tyres to get maximum traction or you end up with one wheel getting more grip, one wheel losing grip then spinning both wheels up.

The pressures, they are only 0.1 bar over, from a tyre too hot, at the "legal" temp, it would be well under the max pressure specified by the rules.

I honestly think this is force majeure, an element outwith the teams control from a faulty blanket.

6. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

In regards to the race.... zzzzz.

What really annoyed me though was the podium interview, Brundle asked fair questions, especially to Hamilton about Rosberg beating him. He looked mighty pissed Brundle brought that up but not sure who heard it, as he walked off you could hear him shout at Brundle "I hate you".

Spoilt little baby who can't admit he was beat fair and square (blamed the track, the regs, the team).

Smithers likes this.
  7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

My gut instinct is that it is most likely a mistake and like I said I feel it's very harsh considering what happened with Merc. It may well be under pressured in this case compared to the others, but like I said they will invariably be different pressures - deliberately. The race start is often sacrificed in most formulas of racing to maximise longevity and performance. The lower the tyre pressure (within reason) the better the performance, and this can be dictated by tyre temperature.

As I said when Merc were involved in this, over heating the tyre technically would increase the tyre pressure meaning that temp adjusted the tyre would have been under the minimum pressure. The rule is there for a reason, and if teams didn't gain advantage in lowering the pressure there would be no need for the rule.

8. EternalMSC

Was that Lewis. Wow...

9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Wow I didn't see the podium interview - was he joking about or did he actually say it with conviction. I think Brundle is very fair and professional to all drivers - especially the British ones.

10. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

It was the other way around. Brundle said it to Hamilton.

Smithers likes this.

11. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

I think it was likely meant jokingly, but you could tell it was meant more as a sarcastic "i've told you before, talk about my race, don't make me talk about others races or make me give credit,".

12. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

It sounded a lot more like Lewis live, if it wasn't then i stand corrected.

allsaintchris. and Smithers like this.
  13. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Not clear in that clip either, but no malice in it whoever said it.

14. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

It could well have been Brundle saying it if Lewis poured champagne on him, likewise it could have been a cheeky dig at the line of questioning.

Also, Lewis never spoke to anyone before the podium, then looked like a prat as he went to spray the champagne as Rosberg and clearly had Vettel decided they wouldn't, so didn't.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  15. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

16. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Does sound like Williams did everything they could to ensure they complied. 3 separate transducers all measuring within the rules! Problem will be FIA kit is the law and that said over temp.
    It is disgraceful that FIA wait till lap 40 to say there was an issue. Still maintain that FIA should have just forced Massa to change tyres and start from pit lane.

17. Smithers

Forum Moderator

18. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

It isn't necessarily true that the temperatures were uneven. These are spot tests, the FIA don't test every tyre on every car, they test one tyre on a handful of randomly selected cars. If they tested all four tyres they wouldn't be able to test as many cars. That's why there should be zero tolerance on these infringements, if the penalty is lenient a team might gamble on not being tested. The DSQ is right in my opinion, as the lack of one was wrong in Monza. I said at the time if it was any other team they'd have been excluded, now we know.

El_Bando, Smithers and cosicave like this.
  19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Let's not allow an opportunity to tear Hamilton to pieces slip by... :p

Max Whiplash likes this.
  20. EternalMSC

It was a champagne thing.