1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

1st Kodgia, 2nd Ayling - Could Flint be 3rd..?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 27, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Derby County should approach Bristol City for Aden Flint; he'd be just what they need.

Should Derby County make a move for Bristol City's central defender Aden Flint this summer

please log in to view this image

Bristol City's Aden Flint and Birmingham City's Clayton Donaldson in actionFirst

After yet another year of disappointment for Derby County fans, many are hoping that, come the summer, new boss Gary Rowett will give a mandate to ship out a good amount of Derby County's underachieving squad, bringing in a fresh, new group, not tarred with the failings of the past.

One area that many Derby County fans would like to see improved is the back four. Too many times this season, Derby have let in late goals due to lapses of concentration, and ability, at the back. One player who could provide an excellent solution to this problem is Bristol City's centre-back, Aden Flint.

Signed in 2013 from Swindon Town, Aden Flint played a huge part in Bristol City's promotion back to the Championship, holding the central position in the Robins' back three that saw them storm the league under former boss, Steve Cotterill. Standing at 6ft 5in, Flint is one of the tallest centre-halves in the division, and has proved time and time again what a danger he can be from corners.

Scoring a sensational 25 goals during his time at Aston Gate, including 15 goals in their promotion season (more than some strikers!), Aden Flint is one of the best goal-scoring defenders in English football, let alone the Championship. It goes without saying that the defender is also excellent from defensive set pieces, and has at times this season been the only reason Bristol City haven't collapsed completely when under the cosh in games.

please log in to view this image

Aden Flint of Bristol City in action with Andre Gray of Burnley

However, if Derby County do want to move for Aden Flint, they will likely have to pay big money. Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has shown in the past, with the transfer of Jonathan Kodjia to Aston Villa, that though he is willing under the right circumstances to sell the side's better players, he certainly won't allow them to go cheap.

Not to fear though, Derby County fans. If Gary Rowett is able to have somewhat of a clear-out this summer, he will also likely receive the full backing of Chairman Mel Morris, who has proved over the years that he is happy to put his money where his mouth is.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/2...-approach-bristol-city-for-aden-flint-hed-be/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Could he follow Richard Keough?

3. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

largely depends on whitch league we"re playing in i guess.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

FLINTY is on contract till 2020 I think any bid would need to be +£5m
    we have 10 players contracted till 2019
    and 8 players contracted to 2018, . Reid, Brownhill,O'Neil,Vyner, Golbourne, Pack, OLeary and Frankie
    Little, Wilbs, Giefer,Mathews and Tammy contracted to June 2017
    We would likely need to spend most of any money from Flinty on his replacement!
    9 players I would like to see with contract extensions ( 2 years/2021 ) are Taylor, Engval, O'Dowda Paterson, Smith, Wright, Pack, Magnusson and Reid
    others that need to be considered Wilbs, Oleary, Frankie and Little
    Wilbs has shown this season he is a good short term cover maybe just 1 more year!
    having players on just 1 year of a contract is not good psychologically, play out of their skins to get longer/ show to others they are worth trying ( after all even if contract runs out and we don't renew chances are they will get at least a 2 deal somewhere!) or don't have their mind on the job!

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

This just speculative on behalf of Derby I recon - they need someone to fill that position and picked Flint. A quote like this would excite any football fan who's team needed a defender:
    'Aden Flint is one of the best goal-scoring defenders in English football, let alone the Championship. It goes without saying that the defender is also excellent from defensive set pieces'

It's a 'wish list', rather than a shopping list methinks.

6. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Don't believe anything that you read on that HITC website

7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

If we go down most likely we will lose our top 7 or 8 players.
    Thats normal.
    If we stay up I wouldn't have thought SL would sanction it, but then I have difficulty second guessing anything SL does these days

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

I think Flint is good enough for the England squad as a John Terry like player for long ball physical games against weaker sides. I'm sure he'll be in the prem soon

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to buck the trend but Flinty is nowhere near good enough for the England setup, and 50/50 if he has what it takes to be a Prem level defender. He is a confidence player, when the team is doing well AF is awesome, when we are doing badly he suffers terribly, he makes bad decisions, gets caught the wrong side of the ball, and mis-kicks clearances far too often to be a top level player.
    I think the Championship is his level, and probably at a bigger club than ours that will challenge at the top end.

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

So what would your opinion be should we find in the next 2 or 3 seasons we are in 3rd to 9th positions?