1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£77 .6 Mill . Not Bad eh ?

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Ffsdon'tpassittohim, May 25, 2015.

1. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Good job you ain't Monk then Musty :)

Turkish likes this.
  2. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

cmon Valley, admit they would do ok at the Swans

3. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Vardy yes, not heard of Albrighton if I'm honest.

4. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

hard working midfielder who can score

5. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Who does he play for?

6. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Vardy is nowhere near what we need sorry to say maybe ok as cover. Hard working tidy player, 5 PL goals in 34 appearances. He must be poor the old idiot Woy has picked him for his squad. As for Albrighton wouldn't make our bench.

7. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Agree Trunds. Vardy for me would be an upgrade on the likes of Donnelly and Emnes but nowhere near good enough to be in our top 2 strikers. He's a third choice at best for a club like ours <ok>

8. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

9. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

That will probably include the extra 1.2m with Norwich coming straight back up, so no parachute payment.

10. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

I really don't rate Vardy at all. He runs around like a headless chicken all game and can't score for ****.

We should be looking for a young up and coming keeper in the 1-2m bracket who can learn from Fab.
    A decent early 20's striker who is a year or two away from hitting his prime valued about 5-8m. Can take over when Gomis' legs fail.
    A mid twenties right winger, currently in his prime who can tear players a new one, valued at about 5m.
    A young teenage left back who can learn from Taylor and can develop in the squad until he is pushing for a first team place. valued around 2m.

Maximum outlay 17m.
    Minimum outlay 13m.

Get it done Huw.

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

swans your assuming gomis is not going to get injured all season. we need a striker who is up to speed now and capable of challenging gomis and for one of them we will have to splash out....

12. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I fully agree there Dai.

13. swans-m

But what good is paying the extra 5mil for a striker in his prime when you can only start one? We need a lead striker and a capable striker to fill in should the main one get injured. No one in their prime will be willing to bench warm.
    Who was the last striker we signed that actually hit the ground running? Gomis took half a season, so did Bony and so did Graham. J Scotland in league 1? We could end up paying 12-15m then waiting half a season for them to come good. Even then were not going to persist with them when we know full well that Gomis is doing the business. So effectively were paying up to 15m for a bench warmer.
    By getting a younger striker we can breed them in the swansea way early then in a season or two they will be ready to start games and hit the ground running.

14. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I agree swans-m a good quality young striker for about £8 million that we can train up to take over from Gomis when necessary and fully when he leaves. Spend the rest of the transfer budget on a full back and possibly another midfielder and up the fee to Barnet for their youngster.

15. trundles left foot

Every side has 2 strikers pushing for first spot that's what is needed, We need someone to push gomis so that when he goes on the pitch he knows he is playing for his place, not out there with his pipe and slippers on. We need to be able to rotate the squad and not lose the quality, not just against the likes of Tranmere in the FA Cup We are not a league 2 club now, we have to think like a PL club and that means have quality back up in every position and not just making do.

We tried the cheap option with the likes of Vazquez and Sheckter and what did we get, a couple of very poor players.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  16. Nosugarman1

I agree that we need someone good enough to push Gomis but at the same time we are not like Man City able to pay high enough wages to keep quality players satisfied on the bench. This is the problem finalising the deal for the Swedish goalkeeper we are chasing, the clubs reportedly have agreed a fee but the player wants first team football. This is why I believe we need to sign a young ambitious striker who is capable of covering for Gomis but who we can develop to take over from him. We have to cut our cloth according to our means. I don't think 8 Mill is necessarily a cheap option.

17. trundles left foot

But every player we sign should be pushing for a starting place and not happy with a bench place. We are the 8th best side in the league and have to have better cover than we have had in the past, I get it with the keeper as the chances of getting on during any game is almost zero, As an outfield player you will probably have a good chance of game time. We cant go into the most important Pl season so far (in terms of revenue ) hoping Gomis doesn't get injured, What happens if he is injured early on and out for the season then we have less than adequate cover. We have to be ambitious and stop thinking little club.

Bap666 and swanseaandproud like this.
  18. Nosugarman1

The point is that a younger quality player would hope to start and may be prepared to wait for his chance whilst a 15 -20 million striker would expect to start. How would you keep him and Gomis satisfied unless you pay big wages which we can't do and could create other problems with our existing players. I am not suggesting we should sign poor players but be cute and sign someone who appears to have the ability to do the job now if required and shows enough potential to improve with us to become number one. After all that's what a scouting system is for. It does happen but I think we would be unlucky to lose our main striker for a large part of the season through injury and I don't think you can legislate for bad luck.

19. trundles left foot

I am not saying spend 15 - 20 million but we have to get someone who can step straight into the team not someone who may be ok. We have tried to be cute in the past with strikers and failed miserably, we struggled this year when Gomis got injured and had to play Siggy up top. We haven't paid a lot of money for any player since Bony. We have only spent smallish fees. In our league surely you have to have the ability to have to good strikers, not one good one and one who is okay. Our place in the top flight is mighty important this year as the money if we stay there is double what we have had. There are worse sides than ours with a lot better striking options than we have. We have been lucky our back 4 and midfield have done so well, if we lose Gomis again and have no good replacement, lets hope they manage to pull of next year what they did last.

20. swans-m

This is the way I see it. Realistically you spend 15odd million you expect your striker to score 15-20 goals a season.
    Spend 8 million you would expect around 10 goals a season.
    Now that doesn't make him a poor striker, that is someone who is capable of filling in when your main striker is injured. If he's young enough it is also someone who can quite well develop into a 20 plus goal striker. That is what we should be aiming for right now.
    We have a 15-20 in gomis so why spend 15m for another one when its not even a certainty they will do the job? We know gomis can do it, so for me there is no need to splash out heavily on a risk.
    It was apparently a risk paying for bony who had just scored 31 in 30 at his previous team. What 15m striker do you know with that kind of record? Whoever we sign will have a poorer record yet we will be expecting the same return.
    Gomis is our guy. A youngish, hungry striker who is starting to show their potential but can still improve with us is the best route to take imo.