1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours £4.5m for Coates

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Oct 12, 2016.

1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

That's his buy out at Sporting Lisbon and, apparently, they want to activate it:

Club looking to close €5m deal with Sunderland ‘as soon as possible’

Sporting CP are reportedly starting to work on Sebastian Coates’ transfer from Sunderland.

The Portuguese club have a €5m buying option over the player until the end of the season, and according to O Jogo, the decision has already been made.

They’re now learning about payment deadlines to the Black Cats and will start to negotiate a new contract for the defender.

The situation is now much clearer than during the summer transfer window, when Sporting had the chance to use the buying option or to extend the loan for a year.

Starting nine games this season, Coates has become a very important man for the Lions, who didn’t need to think too much before taking the decision.

The defender reportedly makes €200k gross per month at the Alvalade, plus performance bonuses. And despite these figures being considered high for the club, they’re willing to make this sacrifice to keep such a vital player.

The change of scenery has done Coates the world of good and whilst Sporting will likely try and leave any payments until the last minute, they’re determined to keep the player.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Little bit of profit on him - although it's a position we are short in - showed some flashes of being a decent enough player but never enough - is that a decent price for him does anyone think?

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

They paid 4 million for the two season loan i do believe. Turning out to be a great signing, just not for on pitch performances.

3. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh he did show a little skill but I feel he will not be part of any plans
    I would take the money and run

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That's the right price for him. He's not a premier league standard player simple as that.

JammySAFC and Gil T Azell like this.
  5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I would value him at least £50 million and would have him playing up front instead of Defoe..............

I'll get me Coates on!!!<laugh>

LAMackem likes this.
  6. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Just double the price to 9 million. Some club in today's transfer market will pay that for him. It's only us who sell Kaboul for 3.5 million that you can get a bargain off....

Billy Death likes this.
  7. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

So he will bring in £9m and we only got £3.5m for Kaboul.......hmmmm

8. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

The point being that Kaboul should have been sold for a hell of a lot more money. It was like giving him a free transfer at that price...

9. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Not sure - chances are the 4m loan fee is part of the final selling price - still puts the Kaboul price into perspective though

10. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Don't consider him part of our squad so 5 million would be a welcome addition to our January transfer budget.

11. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Watched him in a Euro game last week and he played well despite slicing the ball behind for a corner twice and almost getting an own goal. Very self assured but scary.

12. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Listened to the phone in on radio Newcastle last night and Marco reckons we're considering recalling him due to the depleted squad numbers.

If we do recall him till the end of the season, chances are he'll fetch a higher price in the summer.

He looked a better defender with O'Shea alongside him (can be said about a number of our defenders except for Kaboul). Sad reality is that we need a controlling centre half in the side with experience of arranging the team - a respected "talker" but O'Shea is 35 now so replacing him is going to be difficult. Say what you want about him, he knows how to organise a defensive unit and communicate with the team

13. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Having thought about my previous comment
    And in what Marcus has said
    Maybe bringing him back and giving him a run out to see his if any improvement is not a bad thing.
    He might just cut the mustard and fit in fine.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  14. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Always been an admirer of JOS ever since he was the "go to" man for ManU and he covered a fair few positions for them when needed.We would have been down and out for him in my opinion.

15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Agree totally. He played every position for man Utd. Sure he's the only player to have ever done it too! He us an organiser. Personally hopes he does his badges and coaches for us

Nostalgic likes this.
  16. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

'at's a boy!

17. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

When the club said they were going to become self sustaining by concentrating on talent they could develop and sell on for a profit I was worried that we were going to see a lot of our first team being sold off but this shows it is possible to achieve this with periphery players too.

The more that comes to light about SAFC these days the more I get impressed by the things KLD has put in place.

Imagine what SAFC could have achieved if Short had the same nouse?!

18. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

?

DH4 likes this.