1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic £3

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by TWGWTDT, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Our staff fund for our IT group works really well and cuts out all those annoying distracting visits. I recall when the uncle of a senior staff in another area passed away, our director suggested that a donation be made from our staff fund - it went to a vote, I voted no, but majority ruled for a $30 amount.

One time another group invited us to share someone's' birthday cake and on arrival we were then informed that if we wanted a slice of cake we had to pay a buck - can you imagine!

Now for one of our own, whose 10 year old daughter fought brain cancer over a 4 year period, we raised $6,000 to help defer frequent family travel costs away for treatments. After her death earlier this year we made a $250 donation to the Canadian Cancer Society in her name, and gave our colleague the receipt to use as an income tax credit.

Another close colleague & neighbour (only 53, super fit guy, with two young daughters) was diagnosed with a brain tumour in early September, it was removed, but biopsy showed it was an aggressive malignant stage 4 tumour, and he died just 3 weeks after surgery before chemotherapy & radiation treatments were scheduled to start. We raised $2,000 in just one week to help cover anticipated family cost associated with his illness. Fortunately he had mortgage insurance plus an additional 3X annual salary life insurance at work, so at least his wife is well provided for.

Bwood_Ranger and sb_73 like this.
  2. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm getting at, for China in your post, read Bolivia in mine.

3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Seems an excellent set up you have Kilburn, fair to all.

4. thisismyengland

thisismyengland Active Member

NEVER give money to charity. It simply allows the state and the people who own it (and us) to renege on their responsibilities.

Oscar Wilde got it about right.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure The Portrait of Dorian Gray was intended as a life guide, TIME.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. thisismyengland

thisismyengland Active Member

LMFAO

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I didn't actually notice that you linked the quote TIME, good stuff Oscar. I saw this in a gallery last week

image.jpeg
    The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Ivan Albright. It was about the worst thing in there (to my taste). But I also saw this Renoir

image.jpeg
    which is incredibly familiar from chocolate boxes and a certain type of greeting card, and I had always thought just horribly twee. In the flesh it is hugely striking, really beautiful. I also resolved my Monet/Manet confusion. Manet is very good, but Monet is the one I really like, especially his Thames landscapes. I think...

Sorry for straying off topic....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  8. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I do work for a local Cancer Charity in Dorset - LEAFCharity .com. I DJ and event plan (as well as hold down a full time job), and I will basically provide entertainment and dress a room in a hotel accordingly for their annual ball. I don't charge for my time - I give this willingly as their is a personal connection as I lost a relative with
    Leukaemia.
    Charity is all down to the individual - sometimes the greatest gift you can ever give is your time

TWGWTDT and TimPR78 like this.
  9. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Harrumph.

10. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

I give £5 a month to the donkey sanctuary.

Just hope none of it is going to Rob Hulse.

Uber_Hoop likes this.

11. Quality Passing Rules

Quality Passing Rules Well-Known Member