1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£12m bid for Charlie Austin rejected by QPR??

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by FosseFilberto, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Lesta Gangsta

Lesta Gangsta Well-Known Member

Perhaps - but it's pretty consist with our entire history! We've never won the top flight, we've never won the FA Cup, we've competed in Europe three times, two of those times in the Premier League era, and we've won the League Cup three times, two of those in the Premier League era. So on balance, our most successful period is the Premier League era, in which Pearson is the second most successful manager. As I said, if Pearson's not a legend, then we don't have many (at managerial level).

In fairness though, I actually agree Pearson isn't a "legend" because he has had that opportunity snatched from him. His critics will always now believe that he was lucky to keep us up, and any chance he might have had to prove he could do it time and again is gone, at least at our club. In short, he had the the makings of a legend, but was never allowed to fulfill his potential. And that's something I'm going to struggle to forgive the owners for.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Yes ... that was exactly what I was saying <laugh> ... you whinged earlier in the thread that people wre reading more into your comments than you meant or intendedd - then take a bizarre selective interpretation of mine that I would suggest (before you go into a whole peiece on semantics) that only you could make ... priceless <laugh> ..

... but so there is no 'misunderstanding' ... I strongly disagree that this history of our club as witnessed directly by many of us on here is 'irrelevant' in measuring the managerial acheivements and capabilities of Nigel Pearson in comparison to those managers that came before ...

.. but on a side note ... my middle daughter is 15 and the time just seens to have flown since she was just a babe to tell the truth ... funny that, but the older you get the faster time seems to go <laugh>

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... no ... but we did once finish fourth having led the table for some considerable time in the early sixties i.e during the lifetime of some of the fans on here ... under one of the managers that those on here have used as a barometer to measure Nigel Pearson's acheivements ... and by the way - that manager also took us to two FA Cup finals ...now there was nothing 'won' there admittedly ... but I do hold that as being far more impressive than avoiding relegation with a game to go - the fact that it was over 15 years ago is, for me, 'irrelevant' ... and as the song goes "... if you know your history... " and ours didn't start, nor will it end with, Nigel Pearson ... or indeed a 15 year period that culminated in his dismissal ..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... well I haven't ... they have acted as they see it (according to the information published) in the best interests of the football club ... they appear to have dismissed an employee for a breach, or continued breaches, of conduct - to protect the reputation of the football club and their brand ... that appears responsible ownership to me? ...

... yes, the sacking of Nigel Pearson brings the risks that come with a break in continuity without doubt ... but I can't lose faith in the most committed owners that I, personally, have ever seen at our club because they acted in accordance with what seem, to me, to be pretty decent values?

... and the loss of continuity momentum etc ... needs to be balanced against -

... we are debt free, in the top league, have the most expensively assembled squad of players in our history and are being linked with the top managers in the world ... what's not to like?

5. jambawamba

jambawamba Well-Known Member

Don't know what all this has got to do with a £12 million bid for Charlie Austin :rolleyes:
    IMO The best managers we have had are Matt Gillies, had to find all his players in the UK and got a great team together that came very close to winning the double, unfortunately they did not have squads back then, not even Subs and they ran out of steam. Unlucky in the 61 final against spurs played with 10 men after Charmers got his leg broken!
    Jimmy Bloomfield, a great entertaining side,that on it's day could beat any team in the land.
    MON, No need to say anything about him, even the young ones on here have heard of him.
    I rate NP along with Jock Wallace and Gordon Milne! A lot did not rate Milne, but he sorted out one hell of a mess that McLintock left behind!
    NP might have done better if he had been here longer! but aye the King his dead, long live the next King.

Barwellfox likes this.
  6. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Gordon Milne - also put together a fair old striking partnership for the club as I recall ...

7. Wellernever

Wellernever Well-Known Member

You mean Tom English<laugh><laugh>

8. jambawamba

Yes! but Tommy English was not what I expected!

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

...actually no ... but good point ... make that two fair old striking partnerships! <laugh> <laugh>

10. Wellernever

Didn't we swap Jim Melrose for him?

11. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... I think we did ... Jim Melrose! ... recall a smashing day out we had against Norwich ... we were already relegated but took a travelling army to Carrow Rd (in the days before we were 'high risk' ) <laugh> for the last game of the season .. Dramas take note!!!!! ....Jim scored a brace and we took them down with us as I recall ... even got a bit hairy afterwards coz the locals were well angry and were waving pitchforks (in scenes reminiscent of the first Shrek movie) and pelting us with surplus arable produce ... happy days...

12. Lesta Gangsta

So you strongly disagree with something that wasn't said? Because the ONLY thing I said was Nigel Pearson was the best manager we've had in the last 15 years and that 15 years is a long time. My "whinging" was obviously accurate because at no point did I say the comments you disagreed with! Stop tying yourself in knots.

13. Lesta Gangsta

Wooo, where are you getting this from? This sounds like assumption to me. I "strongly disagree" it's the best thing for the football club, as surviving in the Premier League is the best thing for our football club, and sacking Pearson has, in my opinion, hampered our chances of doing that. You can say they did to protect their brand, I'll say they did it to save face back in their homeland.

Just to be clear, as I've said many times, the owners have done some great things for this club. I do not have issue with them overall, merely over this issue. Just because, overall, they've done more good than bad at the club doesn't mean they beyond criticism on all levels, as Pearson supporters were told many times by Pearson critics.

And being linked with the top managers doesn't necessarily mean we'll get one.

14. Wellernever

You do him a disservice, he scored a Hat-trick. Twas the 2nd May 1981. Didn't go to this game but remember going to Brighton on Easter Monday and having a good day out.

15. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

.... what you actually said was .

"There's only two barometers of success in football. Where you finish in the league and what you win. Personality as literally nothing to do with success. Therefore Pearson is the most successful manager we've had in a decade and a half. That is a LONG time, whether some posters can remember further back than that or not is utterly irrelevant."

Now if you had left it at Nigel Pearson is the most successful manager that we have had in the last 15 years it would be beyond refute ... but you didn't ... you had to include the last bit .. why include it? .. what was its' purpose? ... it provoked the reaction that I suspect you knew it would ... what was actually being discussed in prior posts to yours was the relative merits of Nigel Pearson's tenure ... that we can remember what has occurred at our club more than 15 years ago is not irrelevant and certainly not 'utterly irrelevant' at all ... in contrast it is a factual barometer available to us to measure Nigel Pearson's managerial tenure ... in particular the Matt Gilles era which I have referred to above and for which I've used your prescribed measurement for footballing success ...

16. jambawamba

Jim Melrose was a fans favorite, and Milne did a straight swop With Cov for English! Because of his connections in his time at Coventry.
    English had scored a couple of hat tricks for Cov, but was a liability as well has being crap for us.

17. Lesta Gangsta

This is getting beyond monotonous, but anyway - my point is very plain and simple and nowhere near as devious as you seem to be implying. It goes like this: 15 years = long time. Pearson = best manager in that period. As we are talking post O'Neill, anything pre-15 years ago = utterly irrelevant to my point. The vast majority of us on this forum would all agree that O'Neill was the most successful manager in the Premier League era, so it's then natural to compare the managers that have followed in his wake, and of those, Pearson comes out on top, which is quite an achievement, as it's been a LONG TIME since O'Neil left and there have been many, many managers. I literally don't think anyone thinks Pearson was the best manager in our history, so comparisons to 1960s/1970s managers are actually more complimentary to the bloke than I ever could be, but totally unnecessary.

18. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

in the sprit of simplicity ...

Cannot see any point in a debate on Nigel Pearson's relative place in our managerial history being restricted to a 15 year period ... but a discussion of where he fits in over the longer period (and football existed long before the money geneating machine that is the Premier League) is IMHO both interesting and insightful - and apposite in regard to where we are right now ... for me and I suspect others, such debate and comparison is 'necessary' - it demonstrates that the club has and likely will prosper in the future despite Pearson going ... because we have done so previously in the wake of losing even better managers than Nigel ... and with the candidates being mooted - who have obviously acheived way more than Nigel Pearson has in the game to date - there is every reason for optimism ... again IMHO

19. Lesta Gangsta

I hope your right, I sincerely do.

Out of interest, who would you say where the best back-to-back managers we've ever had, because in my 20 years of watching, we've never had two good 'uns in a row?

20. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... Matt-Gilles-Frank O'Farrel-Jimmy Bloomfield ... includes two of the ones us old fogies harp on about ... In between them was Frank who got us promoted and was then pinched by Man Utd...

Lesta Gangsta likes this.